Monday, December 28, 2009












I cleaned off my sewing table of all the christmas items, paper, etc. and got out the butterfly quilt pieces. I found I had a large piece of black fabric in the cupboard and after swiftering the tile floor in front of the door I laid out the black and then very roughly laid out the blocks their order. The main problem in viewing it is that I allowed very large seams - like 1 1/2 to 2" -
as I am tired of edges fraying, etc. so made darn sure I would have enough fabric around to square them all up when done. It looks so much larger then it will be when you consider all those extra seams. There is only 1 block completely finished, a couple almost and the rest have at least something done on them. Here are the pics I took and I will update you as I finish each block. I still haven't decided how to do my butterfly in the middle but I guess that won't be needed for awhile. I measured the center and it is 19 1/2" so it will be a large butterfly. I may try making the fabric for it on my embellisher when I go home. I did not bring it down this year. I made a 10" cutout frame to better visualize what the actual block will look like without the margins.

My usual is I spend more time just staring at the block trying to figure what to do then actually doing something. I am going to try to change that and just jump in and will tear out if I am too unhappy with something.

In one of the blocks you can see some of the pretty Oya edging I purchased from our good friend Rengen from Turkey. I have taken a closeup also so you can see it better. I have a bag of the oya flowers but the edgings are also beautiful. I sat and sewed another one on a circular piece last night and you will see that eventually.
Wish me luck and see if I can't shake off this funk I have been in as far as sewing goes.

6 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Mmmmmmm....I'm in huge like with this! I so want to make one right along with you, but am trying very hard to resist. btw...glad to see you changed your mind about bringing it along with you!

Queen Bee's Musings said...

I was wondering will this be a show and tell at Omaha?
Love to see it in person?

Debra Dixon said...

This piece is so stunning! I enjoy it everytime you post updates. It is so interesting with all the different techniques too. How about something from the Flora book?

Anonymous said...

Freda, this is absolutely beautiful!! The fine details are amazing!

Would you believe I used to teach embroidery and I have never learned how to do silk ribbon embroidery!
Is the ribbon actually pulled THROUGH the fabric? It's all mysterious!

I can't seem to make heads or tails out of the instruction books. Maybe I need an easier one!

Diane

Maggi said...

I just love the colours in this and the edgings in the close up pics are beautiful.

Gina E. said...

Ha ha - "I spend more time just staring at the block trying to figure what to do then actually doing something" - I can relate to that! Like cutting out magazines articles of all the things I'd like to do, then spending the rest of the day trying to decide where to start.
You must be sitting at your computer while I'm here at mine; your comment popped up on my blog about half an hour after I'd done that post! Thank you for your good wishes - and all the best to you and Harv for the coming year.
{{{hugs}}}