Thursday, February 5, 2009

In my previous posts I mentioned and showed pictures of blocks and wallhangings that had been made to be raffled off at the CQ conference in Omaha every July. Well Kate just posted the guidelines for this year's blocks and I have copied part of her email here:



"Welcome to the 11th annual Crazy Quilt Benevolent Society crazy quiltblock fund raiser. Every year for the past 11 years, we--the ladies on the crazy quilt list have made cq blocks. The blocks are made into quilts and raffled at the Omaha Crazy Quilt Retreat raising money for breast cancer research. Over the past ten years, we've raised over $13,000.It's just a drop in the button compared to what is truly needed, but it helps us feel like we are fighting this horrible disease too. If you would like to join our fundraiser this year, you can contact me atmailto:bomber17@mtco.com to let me know you'd like to participate. "



If anyone who reads this wants to participate just email Kate and she will give you the guidelines.



It is literally freezing here in Florida. Last week I covered a lot of plants and bushes then it turned warmer and I brought all the coverings, washed them all and they went back in the linen closet. Well I shouldn't have bothered because last night I was out there again covering up. It was actually in the lower 20's in central Florida and as far down as fort Meyers they said. It will be cold again tonight then starting a warmup and back in the 70's for the weekend. Do I wash all them again or just fold them and leave them in the garage waiting for the next freeze. This is what I hate about Florida gardening in the winter and do not do much of it. At least in the Chicago
area once it freezes usually late Oct. you are happy to put an end to the gardening and it is not a problem. I don't think I have hardly ever had to cover things up at home except maybe the impatients because they are the first to be hit even in the mid 30's. I shouldn't be complaining when I read about all the nurseries and growers down here who spend all night hosing down their ferns, plants, etc. and lose thousands of dollars in the process. They say it will hit the Valentine flower market this year. If it doesn't I am sure the economy will. Enough depressing news for one day. Stay happy and try to be optimistic about our futures.

1 comment:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

It's so hard to 'picture' frost in Florida. Here we are led to believe that Florida is always warm. I suppose, when you think about it, a lot of people think us Canadians actually live in igloos!!