Thursday, December 11, 2008

Orchids


One of the things I love about living in Florida is the abundance of orchids - cheap. Now if you are a collector and want a special orchid you will pay top dollar but for gals like me who keep them for a few months then put them outside to fend for themselves all summer I go for the flea market bargains and there are plenty of them.I usually buy them for $3. - $5.00 each. Sometimes 2 for $5.00.


The picture I am going to show you is one I bought and spent the grand sum of $12.00 for it but it was a large pot with an orchid and a lovely bromeliad in it. the bromeliad had 2 flowers on it and along the sides of these tiny little purple violets have proceeded to open to my amazement. I bought this one late Oct. or early Nov. and it is still flowering. the orchid flowers last for 2-3 months at least.


I have taken a few home to Chicago and given them to my green thumb daughter who has managed to have them re-bloom which amazes me. She does have a large sunroom which is very sunny by day and cold at night . A good environment which orchids do well in.


I have a little bird ornament hanging on one of the branches in case you wonder what it is.


No sewing today. Started knitting a pair of crazy patch mitts last night and will pic them when I am finished with one. I used to do a lot of knitting then fell off the knit wagon and onto other things. It felt good to do a little again. I can't really do much on the buterfly quilt until I get back at the end of the year. I want to bring back a lot of black lace, trims, etc. that I will use on it.

1 comment:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Beautiful orchid! One of my favourite flowers.
Those mittens have me intrigued!