Monday, December 27, 2010

ANOTHER FLEA MARKET FIND


For years I have been looking for a red and white quilt that I could use at Christmas time and Valentines, etc. They have either been too beat up for what they wanted for them or were very good ones that were too expensive for what I wanted it for.

Every thurs. morning they have a flea market in Eustis - the town next to ours - and they have a whole building as a food market. We go there mainly for the food. Harv will even go over there with me as there are a lot of men there and he enjoys looking at the fishing stuff, tools, etc. It is large and he has no trouble getting around there in his scooter. Well for one reason or another we have not had a Thurs. morning without an appt. of some kind or it has been just too cold in the morning to go. Well last Thurs. was free of anything else and in the 60's and sunny so over we went. I found a lot of small things, a couple of which I haven't taken pics of yet but right near the end I went to this one booth and saw this red and white quilt on a table. I unfolded it and had the woman help me to open it up and look at it. It is one of the very old ones with the cotton batting that has shifted a bit. It is hand quilted and the only bad parts are around the edges where the binding has become raggy in a few spots. I asked her what she wanted for it and she said 25.00 or best offer. If she hadn't said "best offer" I would have handed her 25. and taken it. I took a gulp and said how about $15.00 and she said fine. It was discolored in spots and I knew I would not use it without washing it and wasn't sure what would happen. It could have just fallen apart and goodbye money. Well when I got home I put it in the washing machine on gentle with some All and washed it. Then I threw it in the dryer on low and let it go until dry. I held my breath and took it out and it was so much brighter and no worse for the wear. I think this is a quilt that had been used by someone on their bed everyday.
I covered the back of my sofa with it so you could see the pattern. If I had been home I would have hung it but have no open wall space down here.

This has to be the best bargain I have ever found at the flea market.

Does anyone know what the name of the pattern is?

6 comments:

Createology said...

This is a lovely quilt and looks like you will have a lot of uses for enjoying it. Warm cuddles with it...

Gerry Krueger said...

What a great find... I have some dishes that have a red & white checked trim and it is one of my favorite sets of dishes.... They would look great with your quilt...

Gerry K.

Maggi said...

That is a really great find Freda, so glad that it washed well. I think it is called Double Irish Chain.

Debra Dixon said...

It's a Double Irish Chain! I bet you were smirking all the way to the car. Aren't you just the best haggler?

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

It looks like the Irish Chain pattern. Great find and a perfect accent for those holidays! Yeah Freda!!!
Hugs,Pat

Jillayne said...

What a lucky find! I love red & white quilts and you were so lucky to find one in that condition at that price - and hand quilted to boot - yay for you!