Sunday, April 12, 2009







Happy Easter to all my family and friends.



Friday I mentioned the problems I had with my pink sashed quilt. It was stupidity on my part. The pink taffeta frayed very easy and was thin so I used interfacing on each border and that helped. Well once all the sashings were on the the quilt ready to be backed I decided to try putting interfacing over the whole thing as many people have suggested. Never did I think that I had already interfaced the sashing parts once. I merrily ironed on 3 pieces (couldn't find the 60" wide stuff) turned it over and almost fainted. The second interfacing made the fabric completely puckered on the front. It was awful. Then I thought the middle strips were the worst so I would try and remove very carefully the interfacing. Armed with little scissors I would hit it with the little ironing tool then pick at it and it removed 2 layers in some parts and only the last layer in some. Then I accidently cut into the taffeta strip. Just about 1/4" but enough to make me scream. I was ready to throw the whole thing out. I put it away and sat and had a cup of tea and calmed down. Later I looked and thought I can't take the whole thing apart as I have all the cording around, etc. Then I got the idea of cutting 2 new center strips and very carefully appliqueing them over the old. I caught the stitches just under the cording and you could not see that it was applied later.

Well once that was done then all the outer strips looked bad except the top which is covered in tatting. So I thought well I had better do the whole thing so cut 2 new side and 1 bottom strip. Sewed the bottom on the machine until it was shaped like a large U and fit exactly around the corners. Then I pinned it in place and appliqued it down again catching just under the cording. I am not even going to put an iron near this again. Am just going to back it and bind it. I took a few picks to show you what I did if you can understand it. I should have taken a couple of before so you could see how awful it looked but didn't think of it.

I had originally planned a deep bottom border but after decided to make it the same as the 2 sides with the top being wider for the tatting. You will see the original piece hanging below the new one as I haven't trimmed it off yet.

Am I having a nice weekend yet? Really once I had it pinned in place and saw it would work I felt better.

The strange part is that with the colors in this quilt I have no idea what I am going to do with it. No place to hang it. I may have to redecorate a room to go with it.

Hugs and again Happy Easter.

4 comments:

Cathy K said...

Oh Freda, I feel your pain! :-) There's nothing worse than sashing issues - been there, done that. With satin and worse, dupioni silk. That's the only thing, IMHO, that sane quilters have on us - using cottons for sashing! LOL. My next quilt will not be sashed! But you really pulled it off - I can't tell it was appliqued, so hat's off to you! Can't wait to see it all finished up! LOVELY. Have a wonderful Easter! Hugs, Cathy

Cheryl said...

It is looking gorgeous Freda. I also enjoy making quilts that aren't necessarily colors to match the house. Sometimes by the time I get the quilt done, I've changed my decorating scheme and the colors match after all!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Ouch...it hurt to read that because I knew how you must have felt. The end result is gorgeous though!

Allison Ann Aller said...

I feel terrible as I am one of those proponents of lots of interfacing!
You solved the problem brilliantly though.
I am so sorry you had to go through this!