Thursday, January 13, 2011

HELP






I finally took some pics in the sunroom this afternoon and they turned out better then the ones taken in the house last night. I am not very happy with what I have done with the lady and am not sure why. The wings were dark so I outlined and filled in a bit with these which are a golden brown. Are they too dark? I cut the motif in half as I felt it was too large and repositioned the smaller half to the top. I did some embroidery on some of the stems and added silk ribbon leaves on a few in different colors following the colors of the pic. Down in the right bottom corner I did not know what to do with it so started in filling it with glass leaves in a brown tone because this area was very dark brown uner the leaves. I added some lighter ones and a little clump at the bottom to see some sparkle. I will say the pictures do not do justice to the beads. They do not show up as much as they do in person.

Please give me your honest opinions on this. I really do not know what to do with it. It is only pinned there as are the triangles. I will attach the pic with steam a seam and then will have to do some edging around it. Some suggestions for an edging? Also around the diamond shape of the triangle I have to do something or put something there. A small trim? Any suggestions on that and what color.

The top and bottom only pics I took last night inside so may not be as clear as outside in the good light.

I almost hate to show it that is how dissatisfied I am with it.

Please give me your honest answers and any suggestions from starting over to what would you do.

Blogger has again turned the fist 2 pics even though they showed upright on the desk top.
I need help with this also.

9 comments:

Createology said...

When I look at this beautiful piece of art you have created I feel like your inner critic should go take a hike and you should embrace the beauty of your handwork. Just my opinion. Happy creating...

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Honest opinion huh? Well - I think the bead work around the wings is a bit too dark and heavy for the light look of the fairy. I would be tempted to take the beads off and replace them with sparkly crystal ones or just scatter a few here and there on the wings. The image is so pretty but right now it seems weighted down. Another suggestion would be to extend the beading/ribbon work at the bottom further down into the block area so that it would look like the fairy is hovering behind the foreground. Hopefully you 'get' what I mean?

Nicki Lee said...

Freda, I personally think you are being too critical - you are doing a great job. My only suggestion is that when I first look at the image it seems to be weighed down by the large floral motif a bit.(left side). What if you were to cut off the bottom portion (just the dark purple flower) and postion the rest accordingly. I think it might give it an airier feeling - more ethereal.

Jillayne said...

I like that you split the motif - much better. I agree with Magpie - the wing is a bit dark and heavy as compared with the rest. I do like this piece though - it's beautiful and you should play with it more if you are not happy with it. You'll get there!

Gina E. said...

It is a lovely piece of work, Freda, but I agree with Magpie when she says the wings look too dark and heavy for the ethereal angel.

Debra Spincic said...

My suggestion would be to add more of the foliage-either through embroidery & with some more motifs-- out into the black area so the patch blends together with the background. You would be blurring the line between them & the fairy would be flitting across more greenery.

If you didn't want to take out the wing beads, you could darken the fairy to match-maybe with a gentle outline stitch.

Pat Winter said...

I love that fairy. I think the darker wings are fine if you add a few bits of cut out lace applique bits along the empty sides of the image, just maybe one on the left and two on the right and then fill along the outline of the entire picture with random silk ribbon embroidered flowers and more beads using mauve, cream and greens with a touch of brown to marry the whole piece. With the black in the CQ project, the darker wings pull it together nicely. JMO.
Hugs,Pat

Pat Winter said...

Looking at it again, even delicate black lace framing it with the larger painted appliques left where they are would work too.

maggi said...

I love this and think that I would be inclined to add beads as an edge.