Wednesday, March 18, 2009







I have finally started on the butterfly quilt from the Piecemakers 2009 calender. I put together fabric and trims and brought them to Florida and now it is almost time to go home (end April) I have finally started on it.


Linda from Nova Scotia who has a blog: http://www.threadsoflove.blogspot.com/ made a comment that she too has been wanting to start the same quilt but the darkness of it was scaring her off. I went to her blog and left a comment that I felt the same way. She kindly came back to me suggesting I add some glitzy type fabrics to brighten it and take away the sombre look.

I made one block this afternoon and used a couple of grays, a few different type mauve and a couple of black pieces and had the glitter butterfly fabric in the middle. I have drawn up the first 12 squares and will have a glitzy butterfly as one of the pieces on each. I would like to put all 12 together before I start embellishing if I can hold off that long or if my back holds out for that much sewing. I allowed a good couple of inches around the muslin and still I went pretty close in a couple of spots. Can fix that later if need be. I cut my squares down to 10" instead of 14 as I did not want it that big. Of course this meant all the triangles, etc. had to be re-cut to fit the 10" so my sweet hubby (math guy) helped me figure them all out.

Go visit Linda at her blog as she has some beautiful gold blocks she has been working on.

Both my son and daughter from the Chicago area are coming in for spring break. My son arrives Sat. to Sat. and Sue arrives Tues to Tues. They are both renting houses in the Kissimmee area near all the attractions. The houses they rent are well worth the money. They are usually 4-5 bedrooms, 3-4 bathrooms, heated swimming pool and jacuzzi, plus garages turned into game rooms and free internet including a computer. Sues even has free international and local phone calls. It is owned by a British couple hence the free intern. We will go down and see them for a day and they will probably come up here for a day. It is a win win situation all around. We get to see them all summer once we are home. I should mention they each have 3 growing children.
I don't know if anyone remembers but at the Super Bowl Universal Studios advertised to watch the commercials as they were going to offer something. Well Harv was sitting right in front of his laptop watching the game and they came on and said the first 100,000 people to email would receive a free 2 day pass good for 7 days. I had told Sue about it and she emailed and both Harv and her were lucky. Her pass arrived yesterday just in time to come down and Harvs arrived today. So if they go they will only pay for 4 instead of 5. It is so expensive and they have come down every year since we have built our house that they don't go all the time. Seaworld seems to be Sue's favorite and I think Mike likes Universal. Disney is old stuff now to the boys and Jenny. Harv and I will wait until spring break is over and maybe even until the fall. It is good for 1 year I believe.
I also must mention that I received my book of postcards from Jo in New Zealand today. It is really special and a great guide for help in stitching. She does such beautiful work. I believe she is thinking of book 2 already so don't lose out on book 1. Order today if you want it.



3 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm so excited that I know someone who is actually going to make that quilt!! I have the calendar/pattern and absolutely love it. It's on my to-do list, someday. In the meantime, I will take great interest in watching your progress.

allie aller said...

I ordered Jo's book too.
I told her I hoped some of her exquisite stitching would rub off on me!
Have fun with your family...

Jo in NZ said...

Freda, I love the colours of this quilt. It looks so elegant (very 'Hideko' colours!!). I, of course, LOVE dark, so this would be a breeze for me!