Thursday, April 15, 2010

Quilt Square





I know I have said quite a few times that I have packed away the quilt squares but then something comes along that makes me bring them out again. This time I was just playing around with some lace and the dyes. This piece I did not even consider as a piece I would use. It is part of a batch I bought at the quilt show. Someone cleared out their lace stash (like I should do) but it was all new whereas I normally use vintage laces.
After I had dyed it I thought that doesn't look bad but a bit bright. I rinsed it with a little soap and it came out lighter. I remembered this corner of a swuare that I did not know what do to with. Part of the frustration that made me pack it all away again. Well when I got it out and played with it I found it would work. I added it and some trailing beads plus the large button on the other corner. The color of the button doesn't seem to show up in the pics but it is a gorgeous pink-burgundy color. Cost me $4.00 which is the most I think I have ever paid for a button but I loved the color.

5 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I would say that was $4 well spent...the button is gorgeous! I really like the seam treatments you did too.

allie aller said...

Freda, I have never seen lace used that way and I absolutely love it! What a great idea. No wonder you took your square back out!

Jo in NZ said...

What a beautiful block Freda. I love the subtlety of the greys, and it has wonderful focal points.

Cathy said...

Freda, that is a GORGEOUS block!! I love the lace (smart girl you are!), the button and all the stitching. It's officially a WOW piece! Hugs, Cathy

Susan Elliott said...

IMHO I think the button was worth the price. It's lovely and looks great on your block.