Saturday, September 28, 2013

NEW ALBUM

When looking for something I came across the stash of 50th wedding anniversery cards.  I did not want to throw them out as they are so beautiful and so meaning full from our friends and relatives.

I decided to make an album with them that I can leave for my grandchildren to see some day. I know how much I have always loved looking at old cards from the past and with all the Ecards we use these days they may be a good record of the past.

I cut a heavy card stock 7 x 11" and covered each side with pretty stampbooking paper.  Then I put a card on each side.  I covered very heavy paper board with fabric that I glued down and over the outside covers.  Inside I turned down the edges and machine stitched the edges of the 2 linings to make a good clean edge that I cut after that so it would not be too thick.  I then glued them down to the covers.

The little window on the front was purchased in the black velvet from an old picture frame.  It has the bubble glass on it.  I removed the old pic from it and cut with that pattern one of the pictures of Harv. and I.  This was glued down to the cover and then a piece of trim glued around the edges.  I was a bit disappointed with this trim.  I wanted just black gimp and wouldn't you know it JoAnnes was completely out of black so I settled for this. It seems to have more of a frayed edge.

I had purchased an old album page with inserts for pictures and made copies of some of the old black and white ones and filled them with our pictures.  This is a nice memory of some of the people who have since passed away in the little pics.  My Mother, her brother My Uncle Tom (who gave me away) and our best man Donald McKenzie has also passed away.  My MOH is still with us as are Harv and I.

My daughter Sue made the 50th. invitation to the party and printed it on vellum and used a pic of Harv and I from the wedding underneath it.  Great idea.  I have included a couple of pics of cards we received.

I should also say that I made my own wedding gown.  We were on a tight budget and the ballerina length was very popular in the late 50's.  I borrowed a dress form from a friend and took off.  It is hard to see in the small pics but the main dress was covered in silk organza and I embroidered over the skirt area.  A couple of years later my SILBeth liked it so well she had me make hers for her wedding. 










 
After looking at the last pic I see that I forgot to put ribbon on the binding clips.  I will remedy that now.

9 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

What a pretty bride!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Great post, I love that small round photo...and I agree a beautiful bride!
Deb

crafty cat corner said...

I love this idea. It's not until you get older that you realise how important these things are.
My own Mum destroyed loads of photos and I would just love them now for the grandchildren.
Briony
x

Maggi said...

What a beautiful way to keep your memories.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Beautiful bride and handsome groom! So much nicer to have an album, rather than having the cards and photos stuck in a drawer somewhere...or worse, destroyed.

Marilyn said...

What a great idea. I'm sure your kids will enjoy looking through it.

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Love this idea. Beautiful bride Freda :-)
Hugs,
Pat

Queen Bee's Musings said...

What a beautiful heirloom of a beautiful couple. Whom gave their love together for all time to their family.
Blessings.

Createology said...

Lovely photos and your album will be a treasured heirloom for generations. Making your wedding dress made your day that much more special. You and your dress made a beautiful bride. Blessings dear...