Thursday, February 28, 2013

NEAT FIND

I was on my way to the post office in downtown Mt. Dora last Sat. and passed one of the shops on the way and there were a lot of people on the lawn and they were having a sale on the lawn. WelI stopped and was glad I did. They had tables full of stuff for $1.00, 2.00 and the most 5.00. I went right to the linen table and could not believe what I saw. There was this beautiful tatted piece that when finished would have made a basket. It was tacked to the blue paper and there was a tag on it that read Entry Tag, #37, class 5, Tatting plus one more line I cannot decipher. This was on the 1.00 table. I also found 4 or 5 other pieces of just regular doily, crochet pieces but it was the tatting piece that stopped me. I love old tatting. I just wish there had been a year on it. It looks very old and the paper is fairly heavy and it is cracking. I don't think I can bring myself to remove it from the paper. My mind starts wondering about who the woman was that made this and entered it into a fair. Did she win a prize for it? I will never know.

5 comments:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love all linen and love tatting too!! What a lucky find!! do you notice, it is always when you least expect it!!

Carol

Queen Bee's Musings said...

Wow you always seem to find such wonderful items. You have a gift..
Blessings

Maggi said...

What a wonderful find. I keep promising myself that I will do some more tatting again but would probably have to re-learn it.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Another great find! I have tried to learn to tat (both shuttle and needle) and don't seem to be able to get the hang of it. Of course practice might help!!

Gabriela said...

I love tatted pieces!What a great story to wonder about!